Saturday 6 October 2012

Reflections: Week 1

REFLECTIONS OF A LANGUAGE TEACHER

Week 1: October 1-7, 2012
Course: Building Teaching Skills through the Interactive Web



    After much procrastination and looking at the blogs of my colleagues, my blog is finally taking shape. Doing this on line course from the university of Oregon is an entirely new experience for me. Filling out the Needs Analysis form and looking at the rubrics was an introduction to a new paradigm of teaching learning process. 

     Having doing some readings I have been able to know about the benefits of blogging. I am sharing some of them here. Please note that these are the benefits that I can think of for my students. Other teachers can think of much more useful benefits of blogging.
1. Blogging can help a teacher guide his/her students even after the class. Of course the teacher gives recommended readings to her students but as a follow up when s/he feels that there is something more that can be given, the teacher need not wait for the next class. S/he can directly post it on his/her blog.
2. The teacher can post the summary of a lesson covered on a particular day after the class for the students and ask them if there was a point they have not understood or not completely understood. It will help the students get their doubts cleared completely and as it has been mentioned in ELT link of the British Council that it can even get the shy students to open up and share their doubts and views as well. 
3. Peer review and peer guidance as in our case can also be sought. For example if I were to teach a lesson on nouns to my students, I could post my lesson online and ask my colleagues to comment if there is anything in their opinion that I might have skipped. 

  This is all I can think of. If you think of any other benefits that can accrue to your students in your part of the world, please share them with me. I could include them here.

Regards and have a happy weekend. 

Aashish 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aashish

    I liked reading your blog ideas. In deed if you're to put your teaching ideas online for others to see, comment, and even collaborate that itself is a very bold step.

    Btw, more than blog, IMO, I think wiki like sites will help you to build a workspace with students and colleagues.

    I can think of blog as a portfolio of one's own teaching/learning.

    Happy blogging.

    Best, Cherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cherry

    Thank you so much for your post.

    I see that you are a very active member in the discussion forums as well.

    I definitely agree with you that a blog can be a portfolio of one's own teaching/learning.

    May I know your research interests and your area of work.

    Regards

    Aashish

    ReplyDelete