Sunday 2 December 2012

BA-Semester II: Selected Novels and Short stories


Dear BA-1 students, 

Happy holidays and I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

This is to inform you that the following novels and short stories have been selected for the next  semester. It would be good  if you could do a background reading before the classes formally begin on January 1, 2013. 

NOVELS

1.      Wuthering Heights: Emily Bronte
2.      Animal Farm: George Orwell
3.      Jane Eyre: Charlotte Bronte
4.      The Picture of Dorian Gray: Oscar Wilde
5.      The Mayor of Casterbridge: Thomas Hardy
6.      Hard Times: Charles Dickens

SHORT STORIES

1.      “A Rose for Emily”: William Faulkner
2.      “The Terror”: Chekhov
3.      “Metamorphosis”: Franz Kafka
4.      “The Furnished Room”: O Henry
5.      “A Horse and two Goats”: R.K. Narayan
6.      “The Lost Necklace”: Guy de Maupassant
7.      “Chrysanthemums”: John Steinbeck
8.      “Light is Like Water”: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
9.      “Araby”: James Joyce
10.  “House of the Fallen Usher”: Edger Allan Poe
11.  “The Purloined Letter”:  Edgar Allan Poe
12.  “Mr. Palomas on the Beach”: Italo Calvino
Reading list
1.      Allen, Walter. The English Novel. London: Penguin Books Ltd, 1954. Bradbury,
2.      Malcolm. The Modern British Novel. London: Heinneman, 1994.
3.      Leavis, F. R. The Great Tradition: George Eliot. Henry James, Joseph Conrad. London: Chatto and Windus, 1960.
4.      Peck, John. How to Study a Novel. London: Macmillan, 1995.
5.      Showalter, Elaine. A Literature of Their Own: British Women Writers from Bronte to Lessing. New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1977.
6.      Van Ghent, Dorothy. The English Novel: Form and Function. New York: Rinehart, 1953

Best Wishes, 

Ashish Pande. 

8 comments:

  1. Namaste Sir,
    Do I have to buy these all 6 novels?
    and these short story books also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaste Kartik,

    Yes. If you can buy the novels it will be great. Besides when you have taken an honours course in English, they will stay with you for a lifetime.

    There is no book that has all these short stories. So they will be provided by me. You have to make copies and bind them.

    Happy Holidays and Best Wishes,

    Ashish Pande

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sir,
    I wanted some suggestion from you regarding the novels you have prescribed. Sir in the market there is penguin publications, oxford world classics publication and wordsworth classics which are usually bought. Sir could you please suggest me regarding which publisher is the best in terms of introduction, notes and the novel which would help us in our study in semester 2. So please do suggest me whoch publication house is the best with reference to our study.
    Hope you would reply soon and clear my doubts and confusion.

    Sayantan Das

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sir,
    One more question i would like to ask you. With reference to the short stories you prescribed, sir I want to ask you whether you would be giving them or we have to download it from the internet? Whatever maybe the case please tell me sir and sir I have downloded 10 stories out of 12. I did not get 'A horse and two goats' by RK Narayan and 'Mr. Palomar on the beach' by Italo Calvino. Sir should I send the 10 stories to you via email so you could chech whether they are correct and whether we should follow it a.d if it is correct then i could maol to the rest of the students. I got these short stories via www.projectgutenberg.org. Sir please do reply to what I should do. Also should I print them or not? Sir please do reply and give your comments.


    Sayantan Das

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sayantan,

    About the novels; Buy those novels that have good notes, introduction and character sketches.

    In my opinion WORLDVIEW PUBLICATIONS is the best. It has notes by Delhi University teachers.

    You could send me the stories.

    Do not take a print out as things are still not final. If you are getting a free/cheaper print out in your hometown, then you can get it done there.

    I hope this answers your questions.

    Best wishes,

    Aashish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello sir,
    Your reply cleared my doubts. I will mail the stories to you but sir with reference to the novels the publication you suggested that is Worldview Publications, I couldn't find any books of this publication anywhere not even on flipkart. So what to do regarding it? Can't we go with Penguin Classics or Oxford Classics. What do you say sir? Hope to bet your reply soon.

    Sayantan Das

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello sir,
    In the last line of the previous comment I did a spelling mistake. It would be get in place of bet. Sorry sir for such silly mistakes.

    Sayantan Das

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sir,
    Hope your holidays went merrily! I have a problem regarding the novels. As a matter of fact, two critical editions have already been ordered by me,but the rest four I have with me as novels already. Would I still have to buy the critical editions or is there some arrangement I could possibly do?Like attaching the notes with them from some other books?

    ReplyDelete